Hey parents and grandparents… if you are using Baltic Amber teething necklaces … please make sure you are using them safely. Do not let baby wear anything around his neck to sleep or unsupervised.
Teething necklaces made of Baltic amber work when baby’s own body heat triggers the release of a minute amount of oil that contains succinic acid, a naturally-occurring substance in the body. When the oil is absorbed, it has an analgesic effect on swollen, sore gums.
Some people are sure they work, other’s are sure they are too risky.
Whatever you decide, here are a few things to consider:
- Only buy an individually knotted bead necklace.
- Baby shouldn’t wear anything around his neck while unsupervised or sleeping.
- Check the necklace regularly to make sure it is still in tact and joining clasp is in good shape.
- Is it short enough that baby can’t put his arms through?
- Is it long enough not to pinch or choke?
- Baby should not bite or chew the necklace.
We hope this helps you with your decision to use, or not use, a teething necklace.